Gender Marker Change in Amarillo

Prepare Your Gender Affirmation Case with Laura E. Copp

Changing your gender marker can help you affirm your identity, but it can be difficult. You will need to get approval from a judge, which is often easier said than done in Amarillo and throughout Texas. Nevertheless, changing your name and gender marker is your right, and the Law Office of Laura E. Copp is here to help you protect your rights in a variety of situations.

Whether you want to change your gender marker alone or change your name AND your gender marker, Attorney Copp can help you with gender marker change in Amarillo.

Our team is available 24/7, so call us at (806) 424-4330 to get started today!

Can You Change Your Gender in Texas?

Socially, you can go by whatever name and whichever gender markers you feel most comfortable with. There are no laws that stop you from expressing your preferred gender and identity. In some situations, however, you will need to confirm your identity with important documents, like your birth certificate, driver’s license, social security number, and passport.

If your important documents are inaccurate and do not reflect your identity, you may be able to update them. Thus, you can legally change your gender in Texas. While the law does not explicitly provide for gender marker correction, the Texas Health and Safety Code allows you to amend your birth certificate if it is “proved by satisfactory evidence to be inaccurate.” Changing your birth certificate should allow you to change other documents, too, but you will likely need a court order to do so.

Getting a court order to change your identifying document means proving the documents are no longer accurate. You may be able to do this with a doctor’s letter or proof of (gender-affirming) treatment. Letters from people who know you as your preferred gender may also help.

Still, judges may decide what proof they accept, and some judges may not grant gender marker changes at all.

That’s why it is so important to have a local gender affirmation attorney in Amarillo, Texas.

What Documents Should I Prepare?

The first legal document you will need to prepare is the petition to change your name and/or gender in Potter County or your county of residence. Potter County does not have a form for changing gender markers, so you may want to use this guide from Travis County (opens a PDF) as a resource, and you will want to speak to an attorney, as well, because you will be preparing your case largely from scratch.

You should also prepare:

  • A letter from your physician with details about your transition from one gender to another
  • A letter from a mental health professional
  • A fingerprint card
  • A background check

If you wish to change your name and gender, you should do so at the same time to avoid having to be fingerprinted multiple times and getting more than one background check.

The Law Office of Laura E. Copp is ready to help you prepare your documents and present your case to a judge.

Why Choose Us?

Changing your gender markers can be a complicated process, but Laura E. Copp will educate you on what to expect during each step. You can also trust her to be honest with you, and our firm answers the phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The Law Office of Laura E. Copp is also familiar with local courts and judges, so we can use our knowledge and experience to help make sure the law works for you and your rights are protected.

Ready to take the next step? Call us at (806) 424-4330 or contact us online today.

Get to Know Your Attorney

Determined. Honest. Highly Knowledgeable.
  • Laura E. Copp Photo
    Laura E. Copp Founding Attorney

    The Law Office of Laura E. Copp is proud to serve the community from Amarillo, TX. Attorney Copp started her own law firm in order to give individuals ... Read More

    Read More